Runners from the cancelled 2020 race have rolled over their registrations
and the 2021 race is currently full.
However the wait list stands at 0.
Registration for a lottery for the waitlist opens on
January 15th and closes on January 31st.
In the past the waitlist has gone as high as 150
but we have never started a full course,
there have always been open slots at the start.
Registered runners and waitlisted runners drop
due to injuries, logistical and personal reasons.
However most of those drops occur in the last
few weeks before the race and many
waitlisted runners drop because they
need concrete plans for that weekend.
For other waitlisted runners, who move up
in the last few weeks before the race,
the logistics of travel and booking a room
2020 Race Cancelled
Dear San Juan Solstice Runners and Lake City Community:
After hosting the San Juan Solstice 50 Mile Race for 25 years in Lake City, we have unfortunately had to cancel this race for the second year in a row. Here is the process that the race committee went through to make the difficult decision to cancel the race to protect and care for the health and safety of our racing, local, and global community.
We seriously considered postponing the race until the last weekend in September, after the Wine and Music Festival. But of course, the elephant in the room is the virus.
While supporting Hinsdale Public Health orders, inviting 250 + runners plus families into our community doesn't align with the safety requirements that are in place.
In considering the running community, we value the time and effort it takes to train and plan for a race like this. We know that the preparation can begin a year in advance. With this in mind, the race committee wanted to notify runners as soon as it was apparent that an event of this size in June would be unfeasible. This conversation and difficult decision making process is prevalent to all races at this time.
In considering the local community and businesses, this decision was especially difficult. Special considerations were taken knowing that this race benefits our local volunteer EMS team, of whom are particularly in high demand especially at this time. In prioritizing safety at all levels, individual, local, regional, and global, an unfortunate second cancellation, we felt was the responsible decision.
Walking the tightrope between a healthy community and a healthy economy is tricky and the Race Committee takes its responsibility very seriously. Given the unprecedented nature of this event we must consider and prioritize the health of our runners, volunteers, community and EMTs.
The SJS 50 Race Committee
Jerry Gray, Christi Reece, Martha Levine, Lily Virden, Jen Reinhardt, Tom Arnold, Kirk Apt, Jim Baker, Steve & Lynda McCormick